sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Srs light stays on after replacing seatbelt sfety relay.

Customer Question

Category: Mercedes
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to see what fault codes are setting in the airbag module. Do you know what codes are setting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont have codes. Everything was working well before hand. I made a mistake and reconnected the battery and still had the air bag disconnected from its wire attachment. This seem to have made the srs light not go out. I was told to reset it with the proper diagnostics thru mercedes. Is there any other way to erase the error?

You can try a battery disconnect if a scan tool isn't available but if the light is staying on that means there is a current, active fault code.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told that if you reconnect the battery without plugging the wire back to the airbag, that would make the srs light stay on. All you would have to do is reset it. Do I have to have mercedes diagnostic star to do that or is there other scan tools available?

On ABS and airbag systems the light is on if there is an active fault code, the light will go out when the problem is not present. If it was simply a matter of clearing a code then a battery disconnect would turn the light off. Have you tried a battery disconnect?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I disconnected the battery and reconnected and the light comes on, goes out and then stays on. SRS systems have to be manually turned off/erased. Are you familiar with STAR diagnostics?

Like any fault codes they have to be erased so they aren't stored in memory but on airbag and ABS systems if the warning light is on the code is active. If the problem ins't present then the light will turn off and the code will go to stored until it is cleared manually.