Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

Marty, getting cooler now. My 1998 E300 is idling at about

Customer Question

Hello Marty, getting cooler now. My 1998 E300 is idling at about 600 RPM. Causing it to idle roughly. 270,000 miles. What can I do to raise the idle up a bit.
Gary
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Inspect the air intake into the engine and make sure it isn't restricted or damaged in any way causing this issue here.Inspect the throttle bore for any carbon build up as well that may need cleaned out to correct this fault.If this is all checked or was already checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Pete,

I just want to raise the Idle rpms, it is down to about 600 RPM now, the book says that is too low, and the engine "lugs" at that rate.

Gary

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,on this model the IFI control module reads the signals from the crankshaft position sensor to calculate and determine the engine speed.It compares the set/actual values and regulates the quantity of fuel injected for idle speed using the fuel metering control Y23/1.If there is an issue with the crank sensor signal or fuel metering control this can cause this here needing replaced.If there is a lack of air into the engine this may also cause this issue.I don't see any manual adjustments for the idle on this model here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wow, that is no help now. Let me study more.

Gary

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately this is all of the info I have myself on this here.If you want I can open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further on this just let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, maybe I can throw this back to Marty when he is back on the service again.

Many thanks for trying. I learn more about this damned car all the time.
Gary

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

No problem,he is definitely more knowledgeable on this model then I am.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete