Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

I have the same problem on 04 c230k. I've tried everything

Customer Question

I have the same problem on 04 c230k. I've tried everything except mounts. I've replaced vacuum hoses and valves, air filter, spark plugs, oil filter oil change. Vibrates when in Drive or Reverse but I hold brake.. and when I turn steering wheel as far as I can it gets worse and squeels a times?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Inspect and make sure no exhaust components are bent or damaged at all causing this fault here to where exhaust components or their heat shields are contacting the body or engine and transmission.If a fault is found with any of these it will need repaired to correct this here.If this is checked and found to be o.k. I would have the engine mounts checked as I have seen these weaken and collapse and cause issues as well needing replaced.

If the power steering is squealing at times check and make sure the power steering fluid reservoir is at the correct level and if found low this indicates the power steering system has a leak that needs located and repaired then the fluid filled to the proper level.If the fluid is at the proper level already let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do u mean by the exuast like the manifold and pipes?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Correct if any of the pipes are damaged/bent this can cause this here as well as any heat shields around or above the exhaust.These all need checked to locate which component is at fault here needing repaired or replaced and to see if this is the cause at all.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think that's the problem. They all look fine
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If the exhaust is o.k. the only other common fault/components to cause this here are the mounts themselves.I have seen these collapse over time which is very common on Mercedes causing this here with them needing replaced.I have had to replace these several times before.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It mainly happens when the a/c is on and I turn the wheel all one way, it squeeks vibrates and tics like if the timing belt was bad but I switched it already
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

To me from here this does sound like weak/worn engine mounts.This is a very common issue on this model as well as the other Mercedes models.The other issue is a drive belt that has stretched as this can cause the vibration and squeak noise as well.These will have to be checked into further to see if any of these are the cause here needing replaced.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed the belt and did a full tune up last week and did not stop it. I am certain I need mounts but I would like to figure out the squeeking and ticking first
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,if you replaced the belt already and this noise occurs with the ac on the other issue is the ac compressor starting to lock up or putting to much strain on the drive belt which in turn the belt slips slightly and can cause this noise here.I have had to replace the compressor as well for this issue.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The a/c doesn't cause it to act up as much as turn the steering wheel completely
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

When you turn the wheel completely does it make this noise with the ac on and off or only with the ac on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both on and off
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,with knowing this this sounds like the power steering pump is starting to fail and the vibration is coming from the engine mounts.The power steering pump will cause this squeal noise here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just turned it on with a/c full blast and turning the wheel. And I notice the sound was coming from the powersteering pump like a loose bearing.if it has one?.. and the supercharger/intake side was vibrating way more then the engine it self
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

It does have internal bearings integrated with the pump itself.When the pump starts to fail like this here the pump itself needs replaced.This may be causing some vibration as well but its hard to say for sure from here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why is the supercharger area shaking more then the rest?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If the power steering pump is dragging on the belt somewhat this may be causing other pulley/components like the super charger to vibrate with slight belt slip issues.I have seen the power steering pump cause this noise issue here and in some cases if dragging down on the belt it may be causing vibrations.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also when the car is on the tensioner pulley has some motion. Is this normal or is the powersteering pump causing this or is the tensioner bad?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The tensioner can move slightly but if its bouncing I suspect due to drag on it from the power steering pump.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did some more examining and the car vibrates even worse then with a/c then the ps pump.
Is this going to be the ac compressor ? And if so how do I replacr
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not see it
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The noise can still be an issue with the power steering pump but if the ac compressor is locking up it can cause the noise from the pump area as the belt slips around the pump.

Your ac compressor should be located on the drivers side I believe one of the lowest components the drive belt operates on the drivers side as seen below.It is common for it to act up/fail needing replaced.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Here is the replacement info the best I could locate.Unfortunately this is as big as I can post it here.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

You will need an ac machine to recover the ac freon and reinstall it as well so it is best to have a shop or dealer do this.It may be a good idea to have a shop or dealer look into the fault as well to help pinpoint if this is just the ac compressor or power steering pump or both needing replaced as well as have the mounts checked.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took the car to my mechanic and notice that I had oil going into the intake through the hose that goes from the oil separater. Can replace this or do I need a new valve cover
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

In some cases it can be just the oil seperator itself at fault needing replaced.I have had to replace this before several times for issues similar to this here.I would start with this and see if this resolves the issue.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've switched the power pump and the ac compressor .. it is still vibrating and making noise.. I think I money have one more option.. the tensioner.. how would I go about taking it off. I found this picture that say I have to take off a "timing case cover" it a big metal plate that all the pulleys go in too..
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The cover does need removed as there is a bolt on the back of the tensioner that needs removed.Below are some links for the replacement.I apologize as unfortunately this is as large as I could make the pictures.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8r1wfay2dvczo1d/t-10-29.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s5ql2uil2q92jff/te-10-29.gif?dl=0