Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

My 2003 Mercedes Benz ML 500 is leaking water at the

Customer Question

My 2003 Mercedes Benz ML 500 is leaking water at the passenger side (below the glove compartment). I suspect that the leak is from the sunroof drain tube. I would like to remove the panel below the glove compartment. Is this something I can do? Do you have step-by step instruction on how to do it?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is*****'ve attached the instructions below for you.

Please remember to click on a rating for my service.

Marty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is not the part that I want to remove. I want to remove the one on the side (attached to the wall where the front door is attached) where the drain tube passes and is connected to a grommet. There's some sort of a fuse/electrical box in the panel.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, standby while I look up the instructions.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Click on the instructions below.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was able to open the panel but I can't access the drain tube from there.

There is a small panel at the end of the dashboard (to the right of the cup holder). Does that panel come off by itself? If so, how do I remove it? Do I have to remove the entire dashboard to access the wall area to the right of the glove compartment?

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to find back there. The drain will either be disconnected at the roof or plugged up. You can remove the A pillar molding and inspect part of the drain tube but you will need to lower the headliner at the front to access the connection at the roof tray. I would first try blowing through the drain with compressed air and a blow gun. There isn't much to see behind the dash.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I remove the A pillar and how do I lower the front headliner?

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

The A pillar molding just unclips from the pillar. I've attached instructions below.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The A-pillar removal instructions that you sent is different from what is in my truck. After removing the door rubber seal, I didn't see the cap cover, screw and clip that holds the paneling. I tried to pull it out lightly but it seems snugly fit at the bottom and at the windshield side.

Where are the fasteners located?

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

They are on the inside of the A pillar. You need to pull it away at the top at approximately a 45° angle from the pillar.