Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I am restoring a 1975 450sl, it has started great every time

Customer Question

I am restoring a 1975 450sl, it has started great every time I started it over the 3 years iof restoration, and now that I am completed, I started it for the first time in a year and it took right off, I ran it for about 1/2 hour then shut it off, then about an hour later I went to start it again and it won't start, Its getting fuel, checked the points, put a hot wire directly to he coil, replaced the coil, distributor cap looks good, all the wires are good, there is no spark at all, check the fuse link its fine ??????
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** you tested for spark directly out of the ignition coil?

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

I know you said you checked the point but did you check the dwell or the point gap? Have you cleaned the contacts of the points?

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

If you have power to the coil and the harness to the points is good and the points are cleaned and gapped I would have to suspect that the ignition module has failed.