Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Marty, My dash lights - and interior lights - are flashing

Customer Question

Hi Marty,
My dash lights - and interior lights - are flashing when the ignition is on. Also the guages read zero. The ignition barrel failed awhile back and has been removed. Does this have anything to do with the flashing?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, what year and model is your Mercedes? Can you post the vin number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll post it tomorrow Marty. Sleeping now in NZ ;)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Car's a 1993 SL500
Comm-no 02 839 03276
Chassis No WDB1290662F063583
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Problem started after the ignition barrel failed. it was removed but a mess was made of the removal. i am now able to start the motor without the key - by using a screwdriver to rotate the long control rod that runs through the barrel.
i have kept the key close in case there is some sort of immobilising going on now that the key is not being used.
Also the car stood for a long while allowing the battery to go flat. A possible reversal of pos and neg leads occurred when the garage first tried to "jump" start the car. Battery is now fully charged however.
Look forward to hearing back.Tim
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tim, it's very common for the instrument cluster to fail and flash when the key is on. I would first remove, clean and inspect or replace all of the fuses in the front and rear fuse boxes. If you still have trouble with the instrument cluster I'd replace the cluster. It is not normal is that the interior lights flash. Can you give me more information on the interior lights?