Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

How do I determine which air shock is bad on a 04 w211 amg

Customer Question

Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Which side of the car drops first. I assume its leaking or is it something else?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Whole car is down
Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.

If you start it does it pump up or is it stuck down?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stays down but right rear comes up a lil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.

I have to opt out as I cant identify the exact cause. Another expert will be able to help out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wtf seriously disappointed
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello I may be able to Help. Can you tell me how this started ? Did the car just not raise one day ? Or did it slowly drop one axle at time ? Can you hear the compressor running ? I can help you figure this out. No worries. These systems are extremely easy to diagnose. First thing to check is to see if you can hear the compressor running from the front of the car when started. Then need to check the relay and fuse. The fuse is located under the front passenger carpet its number 74 I believe (check all of them ) and the relay is located in the left engine bay fuse box all the way in the corner all by itself.

There is a link to how the fuse box looks.

And this is the relay.

I just seen you requested a phone call. I am sorry I did not see the request sooner. I can definitely help with the suspension issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It started while driving it went down I replaced pump and valve assembly it still won't raise

Ok can you hear the pump run ? Have you checked the fuse under the passenger floor ? What about the relay in left front fuse box ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pump comes on wen door open and when u turn key

Ok that can also be the brake unit buzzing so make sure you don't confuse the two.

If the whole car is down then the compressor may not be working at all or there is a huge leak. The air compressor normally doesn't come on until you start the car. Verify this and if it doesn't run then you need to check for power at the pump. I gave you everything you need to check. Your missing something. Again there is a brake unit that will buzz when you unlock or get into the car which may make you think the pump is buzzing. So please verify. Also was the pump new or used ? These systems are easy to diagnose I just need good Information to get you the best answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not the brake unit its the pump I'm holding it wen it come on I replaced fuse yesterday pump runs for two min the blows off n stops pump is used both pumps work didn't need to buy one I believe it's a leak since it dropped while driving so how do I determine were my leak is , is their a way to bypass pump to air up system to search for leak

The only way to bypass a pump is to jump the pump and then start the car and press the raise button. That should open up the valves and allow air to pass from the pump into the shocks. As of now it very much sounds like a bad pump. When it times out it is because it cannot build pressure. Even if you had a leaky shock the rest of the car would attempt to raise except for the affected shock.