Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I think i forgot to mention that I am also unable to remove

Customer Question

i think i forgot to mention that I am also unable to remove the key from the ignition. I have ordered the brake switch and will see if that is the issue. is there a way to release the key? thank you
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, if you cannot remove the key I would have to think that there is a problem with the shifter. If the shifter is not going all the way into park it will not allow the key to be removed from the ignition. There is a cable that runs from the shifter to the ignition switch that releases the key once the shifter is in park. You might try pushing forward on the shifter and see if the key will turn the last little bit of the way on release. Push forward on the shifter and turn the key counterclockwise then pull. Make sure that you are not pressing the brake pedal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you I will try that. I have always had my foot on the brake that may be the issue. in the beginning when the car would not release from park the key was removable however then after a time became stuck. I assumed that it meant the system was not registering that it was in park. I will go try it now.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good. Let me know how you make out.

Marty