Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 2002 mercedes clk 55 amg convertiable. car has been

Customer Question

i have a 2002 mercedes clk 55 amg convertiable. car has been sitting in my garage since last nov.. i turn it on a few times a week but then stop. now the battery was dead so i charge it up with cables from another car and it started up. i drove around a bit and left the car on for a while and now when i turn it off the car does not turn on.. battery seems good all lights are on. wipers moving as normal. when i put key in it cranks once or twice then stops. what you think could be the problem
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, the first thing you should do is connect a jumper battery to the car again and see if it will start. If your battery is a little weak it will cause the starter to crank briefly and then stop.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

I think you might just need to replace the battery but another possibility is excessive corrosion build up on the flywheel. The corrosion can cause high resistance in the starter and cause the start cycle to end prematurely. It was common to have to remove the starter and lubricate the flywheel with a little bit of anti seize paste.

You can also try turning and holding the key in the start position rather than releasing it and see if it will crank.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Let me know how you make out.