Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I Have a 1987 mercedes 300 sdl deisel. I put a new ignition

Customer Question

I Have a 1987 mercedes 300 sdl deisel. I put a new ignition switch on, now it wont start. It has always started with no problem. After the new ignition switch was put on I believe the wife tried to start it without using the pre-glow light to start it like a regular gas car. Tony
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tony, my name is***** need a little more information. Why was the ignition switch replaced? Did the car start before you replaced the switch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ignition switch needed to be replaced (being the original one) started to become worn and lose in the acc. mode of the switch. The AC blowers kept coming on and off. I still had no trouble starting the car. With the new switch it works great.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car when you try to start it just keep cranking like it's not getting any fuel.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Is the glow plug light coming on? Do you have 12V to the glow plugs when you turn the key on? Did you have any trouble with the electrical connector at the back of the ignition switch coming apart when you replaced the switch? How long has it been since the car last ran?