Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

How can I test the Ignition System on my 2001 Mercedes CL

Customer Question

How can I test the Ignition System on my 2001 Mercedes CL 600
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.

The test for the v12 coils is usually just ohming out the ignition module and coil and testing for proper power and ground. Almost ALL misfires are coil or little red insulator boot failures. The first thing we do in the shop is remove the coil and inspect the red insulators if they are burnt you can usually get away with just replacing those. If they are not burnt check the plugs if plugs look ok then yhe issue is the coil. The coil is one piece on each bank and are extremely prone to failure. Generally it's either the insulator boots or the coil. Hope this information helps. If you need any further info let me know but there really is no reliable GOOD test other than physical inspection. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉 Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.