Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

I try to start my 2009 C350 but all I get is "remove key

Customer Question

I try to start my 2009 C350 but all I get is "remove key from ignition" what is the issue
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.

There are two common components that cause this issue here.First is the electronic steering lock itself.It fails to release the lock when the key is inserted and keeps the vehicle from starting like this here as well as this message.I have had to replace quite a few of these.The other is the electronic ignition switch or also known as EIS.In order to determine which is at fault here a scan tool or dealers sds machine is needed to read out fault codes in the vehicle and check the ignition signal.One check I usually can tell easiest by is when you insert your key you should hear a hum or buzz noise coming from about half way down the steering column.This is the lock disengaging.If you do not hear this the lock most likely needs replaced.

The lock can run up to $200 in most cases and 2.5 hours labor to have replaced or around $450 to $650 depending on dealer or shop charges.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.