Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 1975 240d and need to replace a rocker cover gasket

Customer Question

Hello I have a 1975 240d and need to replace a rocker cover gasket can a sealant be used on the block side of gasket to prevent possible oil leak and the spreading of the gasket when rocker cover is put back in place.Thanks Gary
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Kevin I would always recommend a new gasket with small amount of gasket sealer on the mating face as this will make sure there are no problems at all. You only need a thin layer of sealant . Hope this helps please feel free to ask any other questions you may have

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi Gary, I have to disagree with Kevin. I have serviced Mercedes cars since 1976. Mercedes has NEVER recommended the use of any type of sealant on their rubber valve cover gaskets. The gasket should be installed dry.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

I have to disagree the only gaskets you shouldn't use sealant on is the older cork gaskets it's actually recommended to use sealant on rubber gaskets as a belt and braces approach but as this whole conversation is now likely to be compleatly confusing I'm going to opt out

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

You are entitled to your opinion Kevin but Mercedes has never ever used any type of sealant on their rubber gaskets. I'm sure you are a very competent technician but your answer was a general answer and shows your lack of knowledge of this particular brand.

Sorry for the back and forth on this Gary but the correct procedure is to install the gasket dry. Tightening torque on the valve cover nuts is only 4 ft. lbs. The cover can be re-tightened after 100 miles. Over-tightening the nuts will distort the valve cover and cause leakage.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks all of you I think I will use common sense and buy a torque wrench.Gary
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

You're quite welcome Gary.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi Gary, I'm just following up with you on this question. Do you need anymore help with this?

Marty