Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

MBZ 560SL 1988 - ENGINE DIED WHILE DRIVING... RADIO STOPPED

Customer Question

MBZ 560SL 1988 - ENGINE DIED WHILE DRIVING... RADIO STOPPED PLAYING, AC STOPPED BLOWING & CAR WOULD NOT RE-START. HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH A WIRING SHORT DRAWING ON THE BATTERY FOR THE PAST 8 DAYS BEFORE THIS HAPPENED.
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ALSO, MECHANIC DISCONNECTED THE AUTOMATIC ANTENNAE. THE RADIO PAYS, BUT ANTENNAE WON'T GO UP OR DOWN ANYMORE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WHAT TESTS SHOULD MY MECHANIC BE TAKING?
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, it sounds like the battery died. If the battery voltage is low and if all of this happened while driving the mechanic needs to be looking at the battery and the battery cable connections and the alternator and wiring. Either the battery or the alternator has failed or there is a fault with the cable connections to the battery or the alternator.

As far as the antenna problem is concerned you will most likely need to replace the antenna assembly. I suspect that the mechanic thought that the antenna was draining the battery.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The battery is brand new as of Sunday & the connections are good. Alternator reading started at 12, hesitated & then started to climb. Mechanic said it was ok; however, the read out today was 11 so I'm having it replaced. In the past, there was a "buzzing" noise around the battery after the antennae went down and when unlockiing & locking the doors. Several past mechanics say there's a "short in the wiring". so which wiring other than the battery/alternator can it be?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Isn't there wiring to the ignition, distributor, headlights, etc.? Should all this be checked also? What comprises the "electrical system" that could cause the engine to shut down while driving. I've had 3 ignition switches replaced in the past, so that's why I'm concerned that the wiring problem may not be confined to the battery/alternator.