Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs.
7276279

I have a 92 SL500 that is running like it's under a load. at

Customer Question

Hi
I have a 92 SL500 that is running like it's under a load. at times it will run great but then it dose it gain. My RPM's will go from 600 running smooth to 950 and at an idle sputters and will not accelerate. once you get over 1600 rpm's them it will run but you can still feel the sputtering..... making me crazy!!!!
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The problem you are describing sounds like you may have a fuel pressure concern, can you check the fuel pressure while the problem is occurring, normal fuel pressure should be right at 46 to 52 PSI. Check this and post back with the results and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron
My 92 SL500 is still running bad, the fuel pressure is 50 at idle 47 or so at 2500 rpm's. it's not fixed...
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay the next step would be to scan the computer system and see if there are any fault codes setting, has that been done yet and if so what are the fault codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron
There is no one that has the computer to be able to check it. Not even Mercedes. they say the car is to old.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Thats simply not true, the dealer should still have the ability to retrieve any fault codes. Perhaps you need to try another dealer. You have to give me something to go on if I am going to be able to help you resolve this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron
I'm in Fernley Nevada, The only Mercedes dealer is*****and that is where I went. the next dealer is in sac, and that's 5 hours away from me... Do you think it could be the mas air ecu?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Its possible but with out scanning the computer is would be a guess at best. One thing you can try is to take some MAF cleaner and remove the negative battery cable and give the MAF a good cleaning and see if that helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried that,, my check eng, light came on when this started. I will make some calls to see if any repair shops may have the right computer to check.... I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Thank You for helping me....
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If the check engine light is on the the computer is setting fault codes. If you can get me a code and or codes I can be more useful to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try to get them!!!!! I will get back to you.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Sure thing, I'm here if you can, let me know and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron
Baker here!!! No one in this area was the computer or connector I need to diagnose the problem with my Mercedes. Not sure what to do!!!
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately I do not either if you are not able to do the proper testing which requires the proper equipment.