Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

Pete, I have a 2003 Mercedes S500 4 door, and the driver

Customer Question

Hi Pete,
I have a 2003 Mercedes S500 4 door, and the driver seat belt occasionally will be locked in the retracted position. Some times it works OK, and other times it will not release. My SRS light is on also. What do I need to do?
Al
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Al, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.

The SRS light coming on like this here indicates a fault is detected in the air bag system components.What has to be done to find out what has caused this light to come on is to have the fault codes checked using a scan tool that will plug into your vehicles data port also being one that will read the air bag (SRS) computer to read out what codes are set.Once this has been done any codes set will need diagnosed to locate and repair the fault here.If you can get these codes read out and post them here this will help.If not then someone that has a scan tool that can check your vehicle will be needed or a shop or dealer.

Most likely the SRS light is also related to the seat belt retractor.It sounds like there is a mechanical fault with the retractor itself with the restractor needing replaced to correct both of these faults.On some models (yours should be included) the retractor is also an emergency tensioning device that removes the slack in a pre safe collision event so if the retractor is at fault (which it sounds like it is) this can cause both of the issues with it needing replaced.

Having the fault codes checked in the air bag computer first will help diagnose and pinpoint the cause here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete,
I had it scanned last Friday. The codes were 9025 and 9026. I am almost positive that those were the codes. I am doing this from memory, as the document with the codes is on my desk at work. (2003 Mercedes S500).
Thanks,
Al
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,codes 9025 and 9026 indicates a fault with the front passenger seat occupant sensor/weight sensor.This is a common component that can fail and set off the srs light and the codes here.In almost every case this sensor needs replaced to correct this fault here.The seat belt also needs replaced as there are no repair procedures on seat belts due to them being safety components they cannot be tampered with.The lock on the seat belt is most likely locking the belt when it shouldn't be which can be common and the retractor belt needs replaced to correct this here.The occupant sensor is located under the seat bottom cushion on the front passenger seat itself as seen in the link below.I am showing the cost for this sensor mat is $159.00 and 4.6 hours labor to have replaced as the seat needs removed and taken apart for replacement.