Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

I'm trying to remove the left scuff plate on my 03 class cab

Customer Question

Hi, I'm trying to remove the left scuff plate on my 03 class cab
Any advice? I don't want to break any fasteners
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello. The kick plate just pulls up. Start at the rear near the b pillar area and pull up with some force and gently prying the clips can be a pain but the panels do just pull up. Let me know if this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Lou,
thanks for reply. Can you be more specific re: how many fasteners, where they are, how close to each end and if I need a screwdriver (or just fingers) to pry up. Incidentally, Mercedes "solved" a brake light outtage issue by installing 3 fuses from the same module and 1 is under the scuff plate. Recently after a detailing and now once after a car wash the fuse shorted out.
I'm hoping to rectify this better but in the meantime, I wanna gain access, get fuse type, and try to prevent. Or at least have fuses in glove compartment! As soon as you send tool/clip advice I'll let you know how it worked out. thanksDave

Ok Dave the module under the scuff plate does not make sense. Same as 3 fuses. But I will try and provide a more detailed explanation. Or pictures :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
module is under/behind dash, they couldn't diagnose a display message and ended up installing the 3 fuses to see which would blow to understand what was causing the error message. Make sense now? kind of? I know there are not supposed to be any fuses in-line anywhere, what can I say?

Ok that tells me they were messing with the central gateway. That is the only module under the dash on the kick plate. BUT the plate is the one that is under the dash not the door sill , is that the plate you were trying to remove ? Maybe if we can start from the beginning I can help you. Something tells me we are on the wrong page and you may be chasing something that simply is not there

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope, door scuff plate. I'll send photos once I open it up

Ok I'm getting you some info now

What is your vin because a 03 is a 209 and a 02 is a 208

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here y'go

208.470 is your model.

and of course the kick plate is not in the mercedes info. ;(

here is info for a 210 which is the same as a 208 just 4 doors. does this help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
three clips, back middle front and do them in that order, huh? do you think fingers are ok or is a big fat flat screwdriver better?

Fingers work ok. The hard part is making sure you don't flip a fingernail. The plate really just pulls up pretty easy.