Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

2002 Mercedes S 500. After start up the transmission works 3

Customer Question

2002 Mercedes S 500. After start up the transmission works for about 3 minuts, after that it stops working in both direction. Resting it for 15 minuts, and the same thing happens.Check engine light is on, error code po715 input/turbine speed sensor A circuit malfunction is present.
Front driver side window,seat, and mirror are not functioning.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, the symptoms and fault code indicate either low transmission fluid or a faulty speed sensor in the transmission or possibly just a worn out transmission. The first thing I would do is get the fluid level in the transmission checked. If the level is good and the transmission works perfectly until it acts up I would suggest replacing the conductor plate in the transmission which contains the speed sensors. If there is a lot of metal and black soot in the transmission pan when you remove the pan to replace the plate there is a good possibility that the transmission is worn out.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

The window seat and mirror are either a bad door control module or broken wires in the door. Fuse 13 powers the door module.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please don't forget to click on a rating for my service today.

Marty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, it looks like you have requested a phone call. I've sent the phone contact offer for you to accept.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no deepstick , how can i check the level ?
The cluches are electric, how the low oil level effects the function ?
What type of fluid needed ?
Where can i find a service manual?
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

You have to purchase a dipstick tool in order to check the fluid level. The clutches are not electric but there are electric solenoids on the valve body. Low oil level can cause slippage and the slippage is detected by the speed sensors which then causes the computer to put the transmission in limp home mode. The transmission uses Mercedes part number 001 989 21 03 10 for the fluid. Click on the link below for a suitable fluid. What type of manual are you looking for? You can usually find copies of the factory manual for sale on ebay.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=cs1innrpl33p5v3bat40oajf&partnumber=001%20989%2021%2003%2010

Let me know if you need anything else.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm just following up with you on this question. Do you need anymore help?