Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I am considering to buy a 2009 sl 63 mercedes-benz, as with

Customer Question

Hello, I am considering to buy a 2009 sl 63 mercedes-benz, as with most cars, they all seem to have week points. I would like to know is this car in a professional opinion going to be a money pit or a very good car with a few particular key problems to be concerned with. Being that the 2009's are now 6+ years old, i would like to think that there is a somewhat clear insight on what the cars short falls are. I don't have a car picked out as of yet, so there is no mileage to speak about. If you where to suggest that the car is great BUT, at 50k miles you MUST have the transmission rebuilt, than maybe it would be worth looking at SL's THAT have had there transmissions already serviced. This is the type of question I am possing to you. Thank you Ed
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ed, SL's in general are a money pit. The ABC suspension and the SBC braking system along with the Vario roof system and the COMAND system for the audio are all trouble areas. The engine and transmission don't give too much trouble although there have been some problems with the M156 engine regarding the valve train. There is talk of a class action suit against Mercedes on the engine problem. Regular oil changes using the correct oil and filter goes a long way in avoiding engine failures. Knowing that the M156 engine has had some issues makes it a little unsettling owning one. The transmission fluid and filter should get replaced once at 39,000 miles and then I recommend every 60,000 miles going forward. I always tell my customers that I would not own this car without a warranty. If you are going to buy an SL I'd also by an extended warranty that covers everything from bumper to bumper. When looking for a car go for the lowest possible miles. I'd try to stay under 50,000 miles.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ed, I'm just following up with you on the Mercedes. Do you need anymore help with this?

Marty