Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I have a 2007 GL-450. I replaced the front air struts at the

Customer Question

I have a 2007 GL-450. I replaced the front air struts at the beginning of the year because they were extremely noisy and were not damping. The struts put in were meredes remanufactured front struts and the Mercedes dealer put them in. they come with 1 year warranty for parts and labor. since they were put in, I've noticed that the noise problem was fixed, but they are not really damping potholes as well as I remember the struts once did. the bags are intact, no codes or warning lights coming up, but when you drive, especially at high speeds and go over potholes, it feels as the weight of the car and the pothole is too much for the struts and they fully compressed causing sometimes an annoying bang on the chassis. It is very strange. It is almost as if they don't have enough air pressure in the bags to withstand the potholes. I want to understand the different parts of the air suspension system and how the air suspension system works in the GL450 to rule out fuse, relay, sensors, etc. so that I can go back to the dealer with a little certainty and say replace the struts, they are faulty. I know I will get pushback. But, right now, my wife's Hyundai Sonata dampens potholes better than my GL and I remember the reason I bought it to begin with was it's incredible ability at dampening potholes which was better than the other SUVs I test drove. I also want to understand if the struts are pressurized with fluid and maybe they are faulty as opposed to the bags leaking. I have replaced leaky bags on this GL before and do not believe that this is the case now. There is no leaky air noise, and the car doesn't wake up lower on any one side like it did when I had a bags leaking air. The bags appear perfectly normal other than the experience of them not dampening like I once remember them at high speeds (60 mph and over). What do you think Pete? Have you ever encountered this situation?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** is a recall on the compressors for not putting enough pressure in the struts, and can cause this, do you know if this recall has been done yet?