Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

I have a 2001 C-240 that refuses to crank on occasion.

Customer Question

I have a 2001 C-240 that refuses to crank on occasion. Usually the shifter won't move, the sterring wheel won't turn, and there is an error message of some type on the screen. One red message states that the brakes are worn to a dangerous point, but they aren't.
A time or two it seems the key would not come out. Usually, without knowing exactly what I may have done, the car starts and all is normal. This is happening more often and is becoming a problem. Help, please.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello Ron. First off the no starting issue sounds like your ignition switch is failing or your key. Hopefully you have a second key to try and use to compare the rate the issue appears at. For the brakes you have sensors mounted to the brake pads on the front right and rear of the vehicle that will wear through and set the light. They just be replaced if brakes are also replaced. So I would have the codes read by a dealer or a shop with a Mercedes scan tool to be able to read all the modules and their codes to see if there is a code that relates to your failure. But I can assume the issue is the key or the ignition switch. The bad part is that if you only have one key then you will need to start with ordering a new second key from a dealer in order to properly diagnose the issue. Hope this information helps. Let me know if you need more info. I will do what I can to help. Lou