Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

1988 560SL gas gauge, tachometer will not work and now car

Customer Question

1988 560SL gas gauge, tachometer will not work and now car will not even start, battery is good, car has less than 30,000 miles, trying to read diagnose problem by bconsulting book and on line it sounds like there is adefective relay or a loose connection. I was advised to check relays under dash, we can't find the proper relay or a loose circuit connection.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi David, for the gauge problem I would start by cleaning or replacing all of the fuses in the fuse box. Poor fuse connections will cause all sorts of problems on the SL.

Can you describe the no start? Is it cranking but not starting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the starter spin the engine very well
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Ok, clean or replace all of the fuses first. Next you will need to check if the fuel pumps are running when you crank the engine. If the pumps are not running you will need to replace the fuel pump relay. The relay is located behind the glove box.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi David, I'm just following up with you on the Mercedes. Do you need anymore help with this?

Marty