Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

1983 Mercedes 300D 200 000 miles. Key turns first click OK,

Customer Question

1983 Mercedes 300D 200 000 miles. Key turns first click OK, turned second click all dashboard lights are on except glow plugs light, SPEEDOMETER GOES TO MAX, can hear different noises behind dashboard, key turned to start causes complete silence, starter not engaging.
Battery seems to be OK 12.6V at rest, tried jump start, made no difference. It happen suddenly overnight, without any warning.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** sounds like you either have a faulty ignition switch or a faulty neutral safety switch or there is a problem with the starter or the wiring or the linkage to the transmission. First I would try starting the car in neutral and see if it will start. Next I would make sure that the linkage from the transmission to the shifter is still connected. Next step would be to test the voltage at the starter solenoid when the key is turned to the start position. If you have 12V to the solenoid and the starter does not turn you simply have a bad starter.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Marty, your advice was not better than the advice from a female gas station attendant. First try this then try that, that, that and that. You as an expert should be able to pinpoint the cause to ONE reason. First of all, you did not catch that speedometer in Mercedes 300D can not go up when turning the key because it is mechanical, cable driven. Second, when I said battery seems to be OK because id reads 12.5V, you as an expert should have asked about measurement with a battery tester, not just voltmeter (because my stud sensor shows almost 12.5V, try to start a car with it).
Thanks to you I have a $50 switch as a spare and what it took was to replace the battery. Thanks a million!
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

You obviously did not read my answer! I never said try this and try that! I said test this and test that! If you had followed my advice with systematic voltage testing you would not have needlessly replaced the ignition switch! I ignored the statement about the speedometer because it had no bearing on the no start.

Good luck with YOUR problem.

Marty