Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

I have a 2000 SLK230. The Check Engine light came on and a

Customer Question

I have a 2000 SLK230. The Check Engine light came on and a code -72 appears on the odometer lcd screen. What is this code?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello the check engine light and that number are not tied together. That number means the oil change Counter is 72 days overdue. Here is the process to reset it.

Close the doors. Insert the key into the ignition and then turn to the first click. Press the knob on the dash twice and the -72 will show up , quickly turn the key off then press and hold the dash button and whole Holding the button turn the key back on and keep holding the button until the dash beeps and the number is *****

For the check engine light you will have to have the codes read with a scan tool , and once you get the codes you can return here and I will give you the best information for the code and what your options are :) Hope this information helps