Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

My 2013 gl450 tailgate won't unlock. i was working just 1hr

Customer Question

hi my 2013 gl450 tailgate won't unlock. i was working just 1hr ago, after driving home it won't unlock. i tried the key, the button on the tailgate, and the button inside the car all of them won't work
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello , have you tried the mechanical release ? Is there something you need to have removed from the hatch area ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the mechanical release still work. i was hoping for a solution that will fix the automatic lock?

Ok gotcha. Do you have the automatic lift gate? Do the switches light up on the hatch ? The ones to lock and close the lift gate ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's automatic. the switch still light up. After i opened it using emergency (mechanical) lock, if i push the switch / the handle it still power the tailgate up and down, but just won't unlock once the gate is closed. i suspect the latch / lock is broken somehow?

Can you try this , put your ear on the tailgate and press the lock and unlock and see if you hear the tail gate make any noise ? And then press the tail gate open button on the remote and see if the door makes any noise ?

I'm checking a wiring diagram now to see if there is a fuse possibly. So far I think the latch is faulty. But I would like to be positive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is a very small click sound when i press the lock/unlock on the tailgate, or the remote tailgate button. so i don't think it's the fuse but the latch gone bad... it was working when i was in the airport but not working when i got home, fickle so fast...

Ok yes not a fuse. Looked at the diagram and its controlled by the "rear control module ". And there is no fuse in the Curcuit. The rear latch will have to be replaced. Will you do the work yourself ?

If you end up wanting to fix it yourself let me know hopefully your still under warranty. I'll do what I can to assist as far as work instructions and part numbers. Just let me know what you need. Hope this information helps. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉 Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought it as certified pre-own earlier this year it should be still under warranty i'll bring it back and see what they say.
you have been helpful but i guess given the nature of the problem can't really be resolved by remote help (i was hoping maybe it's a blown fuse / electrical reset will fix it). Do you think it is fair for me to ask justanswer.com for a refund?