Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 2002 Ml320 V6 truck. I keep losing power steering

I have a 2002 Ml320 V6 truck. I keep losing power steering fluid. Is there anything I need to check 1st or just replace the pump altogether?

Hi, the power steering pump is one of the common leaks but there are other areas that should be checked before you replace the pump. There are some low pressure hoses that run to and from the power steering cooler next to the radiator that often leak. There is also an o-ring that seals the power steering reservoir to the pump that can fail. Ideally the car should be put on a lift to locate the source of the leak before anything is replaced. If there is a lot of fluid leaking from around the pump I'd suggest replacing the o-ring for the reservoir and see if that takes care of the leak.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

Hi, I'm just following up with you on the Mercedes. Do you need anymore help with this?

Marty