Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

I have a 2001 slk320 with 90,000km. The steering wheel

Customer Question

I have a 2001 slk320 with 90,000km. The steering wheel wiggles as if the whole shat is loose. It doesn't seem to make any difference whether the locking mechanism for the telescopic adjustment is engaged or not. Is it the cylinder or can it be the universal joint further down
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any progress
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant shaft instead of shat
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In allot of cases this is the joint that connects the shaft to the intermediate shaft or to the steering rack and pinion gear box itself.The joint can develop play in it as it wears slightly needing replaced.This will have to be inspected further to pinpoint for sure that this is the cause here and then from there replaced.I would make sure the slack isn't in the rack and pinion as there have been some issues with these before as well needing replaced.Further inspection should pinpoint the fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Thanks Pete.