Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

Gl450 engine turns over slow battery replaced still same

Customer Question

gl450 engine turns over slow battery replaced still same issue
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have checked everything has done this since I purchased 5 months ago changed battery still same issue and checked charging system and working perfect only thing I did not change was small battery next to large one unless that's just for memory Thanks from Joe. Also just started recently sometimes cranks over a little longer to start intermittently!
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello. The small battery is just for the shifter mechanism. It only takes effect if the main battery dies so the shifted can be put in park. A voltage drop test will need to be done on the power wire that goes from the jumpstart point to the starter to the alternator. It's one cable. It's possible the cable is corroding or also the main negative cable has poor connections. Voltage drop tests should be don't on both.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cable are all spotless the car came from Arizona and is spotless I crawled under truck and all cable are extremely clean like brand New I can do a voltage drop test give me a idea I will use a fluke meter!

Ok , for the vtage drop test you simply set the meter like you would to test regular voltage and you put one lead on the positive battery terminal and the other on the starter positive terminal (keep in mind this is the same cable ) and then you crank the car. You should lose no more than 1 volt. Here is a site that can give examples so we are on the same page. Let me know what you find. Lou