Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 23 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

My grand daughter rammed her 1997 Mercedes E320 into a

Customer Question

My grand daughter rammed her 1997 Mercedes E320 into a concrete wall going 5 mph. The air bag exploded and the bumper was pushed into the 2 fans over the A/C coil. Can the bumper be pulled back out? What is the part called if we need to replace it or can the shock absorbers be released and replaced?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

as the bumper is plastic then you stand a reasonable chance of getting it to pop back out with use of some hot air

however they do tend to be never the same afterwards - it depends on just what level of finish you want the repair to be at

a better bet is to source a good used part

as this is a fraction of the cost of a new MB part and can be re-sprayed to match your paint and look like new

what will dicate the cost and complexity of the repair is whether or not if the main crash structures that ie under the bumper have been damaged as this can easily write the car off

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.