Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

My car keeps getting stuck in first or second gear after I

Customer Question

My car keeps getting stuck in first or second gear after I drive a long distance as the transmission heats up i believe. My mechanic had a transmission "expert" come and run a diagnostic and they pulled EP2315: one or more messages from control unit A1 (instrument cluster) are not available on the CAN bus (CAN timeout fault). Is this code related to a faulty solanoid within the system?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

while there's no supporting fault code I'd agree that this is likley to be a faulty / sticking solenoid

So I'd suggest the next step is to drain the oil and refresh with new, it would also be worthwhile removing the sump pan and cleaning out the filter screen inside the sump

and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello. The most common fault is a failed speed sensor on the electronic hydraulic plate. It's also called a conductor plate. You will need a scanner capable of reading transmission fault codes as the code you have does not relate to the transmission but the instrument cluster itself. If you do work on the car yourself I can upload work instructions but Mercedes transmission issues are always related to the speed sensors on the electronic plate internal to the transmission. There is only one connection on the transmission and its never a faulty connection. So get the codes read from a scanner that can read the ETC or EGS module and that will tell us so much more as to what is happening. Hope this information helps. Lou

Hello, have you made any progress?