Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

I have just taken over my friend's 2001 CL500 (W215 series)

Customer Question

Hi I have just taken over my friend's 2001 CL500 (W215 series) it has Comand. The Satnav, tape and in-dash CD all work fine but the items that are further away - the phone and CD changer in the trunk - are not recognized by the Comand. CD changer and telephone seem OK but the Comand screen just says "no CD changer" and "no phone"
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Usually when there is a issue there is no sound in the radio. Does the sound work ? Check the cd changer to make sure the fiber optics are indeed plugged in. Also remove the power from the cd changer and reconnect and see if it helps? Let me know. Radio issues are easy for the most part. Just need as much info as possible to help diagnose

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, as I mentioned in my original question, some of the stuff works OK e.g. the radio, in-dash CD etc. It is the stuff located in other places that isn't recognized, e.g. the phone in the centre console and the CD changer in the trunk

Ok if the sound works that means that the cd changer was removed from the fiber optic loop. When you press the cd changer button does the radio say "no cd changer "? That would tell a lot. Also remove the panelling and cd changer assembly and make sure there is a orange two line connector plugged in to the cd changer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** changer has power to it (as the door slides and the magazine ejects fine) but the radio does indeed say "no CD changer" when you press the CD button. The CD changer is buried flush in the floor of the trunk - is it easy to get it out to look for the orange wires?

You must pull the panelling away , and unbolt the entire bracket that the cd changer and amplifier and telephone module all bolt Into. If that is not how your setup looks let me know. But the power plug and fiber optics are on the bottom of the cd changer.

I'm guessing there was a issue with the cd changer and telephone module (which are both extremely common ) and someone bypassed them with the fiber optics.