Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 1981 Mercedes 380sl with an idle problem. I have

Customer Question

I have a 1981 Mercedes 380sl with an idle problem. I have check fuel pressure (ok). car starts fine but when it warms up the idle jumps to 1200rpm. I can disconnect o2 sensor and the idle doesn't change. I have cleaned the idle control value. Any ideas?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, there are only a couple of possibilities for this problem. Either the idle valve is letting too much air into the motor or it is getting in somewhere else. Block off the idle valve and see if it stalls. If it does then you know that the problem is too much air bypassing the idle valve. If that is the case you need to replace the idle control unit. You might also need to replace the valve but start by replacing the control unit. The O2 sensor has nothing to do with the problem. Also make sure that the ignition timing is set correctly.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty