Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Marty, I recently bought a M- ML430 at an insurance auction

Customer Question

Marty, I recently bought a M-B ML430 at an insurance auction here i Oreg The car had come from Washington state. The car had been hit near the center of the front bumper. The steel bumper support was pushed in about 1.5 inches. The hood, headlights, fenders, radiator, fans and AC condenser were not damaged. There was a fair amount oil (I thing motor oil) sprayed around the engine compartment, particularly on the right side. I put a battery in the car and tried to start it. It turned over OK but would not start. I filled the coolant tank with water, but it went down fairly fast and the oil level on the dip stick went up. I could not see any external oil or water leaks. The car has 111,000 miles. What are yoyur thoughts?
Thanks. Pete
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi Pete, there are a lot of possibilities for a no start. If you suspect that the water went into the crankcase I would fill the reservoir to the top and crank the motor. If the water gushes out of the reservoir when cranking it tells you that there is a head gasket problem. If the water remains still then there is a good chance that the motor is fine. Next steps are to test for fuel pressure and ignition spark. No fuel pressure indicates a bad fuel pump or relay. No spark indicates a bad crank sensor or other electrical fault. A start and immediate stall indicates a bad key.

Let me know if you have any questions. I can speak to you on the phone today if you would like. There is an additional service fee for the phone call but I can probably help you sort this out a lot faster.

Let me know.

Marty