Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

2003s430 defective display light no speedometer on 0 no rpm

Customer Question

2003s430 defective display light no speedometer on 0 no rpm reading gas read 0 car drove fine today wont start
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello. A defective display warning means that the vehicles communication system had a fault and no data can be transferred between modules. This will be near impossible to diagnose without a Mercedes scan tool. Are you going to attempt to fix your self or are you just looking for what can be the issue ? Then I can advise further. But keep in mind without a scan tool it will be impossible to find the issue. Lou

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi lou
I understand
Trying to find outif there is a module that can possibly get wet and malfunction
My issues would temporarily happen after a car wash
Was wondering if there waa a specific module that controlled the speedometer gas guage temperature guage rpm
And prevent car from starting
This last episode also happened after car wash aldo couldn't see what gear i was in on digital display

Ok that is good info there is hope if that is the issue. There are three places I need you to check for water. Both front floor areas where the feet go to see if the carpet is wet. Also pick up the back seat it comes up with two release latches one on each front corner of the seat. And see if there is water back there. Then I can advise. Also have you had a windshield replaced recently ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO VISIBLE WET SPOTS BUT PROBLEM ONLY NOTICEABLE AFTER CAR WASH DID NOTICE THAT FUSE BOX COVER UNDER HOOD WAS JUST LAYING THERE AND NOT SNAPPED DOWN THIS IS THE FIRST TIME HOWEVER THAT IT DIDNT WANT TO START NEED SOME POSSIBLE SUGGESTIONS OF WHAT MODULES FUSES OR RELAYS CONTROL THAT PORTION IN ACCORDANCE TO THOSE SYMPTOMS

Ok was it the drivers side or passengers side engine bay fuse box

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PASSENGER SIDE

Ok. In there is a few modules. The transmission control module. The traction control module and the fuse box module called a "passenger Sam " (signal acquisition module ). All three of those could inhibit starting. Also the box passes into the cabin where a connecoter for the data bus communications systems is. So you can have a multitude of issues. First thing is to disconnect the battery asap. Remove all the modules and try to dry them out.

cars are difficult to say why something took 1 month to show failure again, let me ask you did you wire in the bulbs with wiring from the car? or simply plug it into the origional headlamp connectors?

you did not splice into any wires did you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No no splicing was done

my apologies, that was not for you , are you able to remove the modules?

the bulb statement and the wire splicing was for another client with the same car. sorry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DISCONNECTED BATTERY HOOKED BACK UP 20 MIN LATER MALFUNCTION ESP

No I meant to disconnect the battery so the water will not do more damage. Did you take the modules out to dry them out ?