Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

The car battery on my 1999 C230 went dead. Since I 't drive

Customer Question

The car battery on my 1999 C230 went dead. Since I don't drive the car I let it sit for about two months before I decided to sell it. I put in a new battery today but now the key fobs won't work
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Try holding the lock and unlock on the key fobs standing next to the vehicle for up to 15 seconds and see if they re synch to the vehicle.If this does not work try locking and unlocking the door with the metal key blade or inserting the key into the ignition for several minutes with the key on or off and see if they start to work then.In some cases this will re learn them to the vehicle.If this does not work let me know.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete, the key fobs are still not synchronized to the car. I still have the same issues: I can't start the car, the key fob won't even go to the first position in the ignition; the door locks and trunk locks don't work either. I still need help
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If this is more then one key acting up like this here try leaving the key in the ignition itself for up to 15 minutes and see if then it works to rotate in the ignition as well as lock and unlock the vehicle.If this is only one fob acting up or if this does not work here let me know,

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried both (for more than 15 minutes actually) and neither fob has yet to reset.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Is the battery a good battery that was installed and do any electronics work in the vehicle at all?