Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

My 1992 500l loses oil pressure and will not drive more than

Customer Question

My 1992 500l loses oil pressure and will not drive more than ten miles per hour. What causes this slowdown? It' scary to be on the highway and all of a sudden have no power!
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The loss of oil pressure may be causing the engine computer to slow down or limit engine speed as some models will do.The oil pressure loss issue here needs to be tested to locate the source of the pressure loss then from there repaired.I have seen sludged up engine components cause this with the engine needing cleaned as well as faulty engine oil pumps needing replaced.This does need checked into further to locate and repair this cause here then re checked to see if there is a power loss issue still after this has been done.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI ! The '92 500l is presently in the shop. The mechanic indicates that the problem is not related to oil pressure. The ASR light comes on when the car loses power and will not travel at more than ten miles per hour. There must be some other explanation!
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The ASR light coming on will cause the limp mode/low power or acceleration fault here.This is the acceleration slip control.In some cases this is due to different tire sizes that causes this or a big difference in air in the tires being off from one another.This can also be caused by a defective accelerator position switch or on some of these older models the wiring to the throttle sensors.The wiring under the hood needs inspected for any damage and if any wiring is found brittle,broken or damaged it will need repaired.If this is all o.k. and the tires are all o.k. you may have a fault with the accelerator position switch needing replaced.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete,
Don't mean to hold you up. But your service was fine but your information didn't help at all. My mechanics determined the problem to be a faulty throttle actuator. If I ask for a refund, do you still get something?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

That is great to hear the fault has been located.If you ask for a refund then your deposit is usually refunded to you and I won't get anything.The choice is up to you though just glad to hear the fault has been located.

Thanks Pete