Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

350 SL convertible 2004 The ABS makes a groaning noise when

Customer Question

350 SL convertible 2004
The ABS makes a groaning noise when the car is first unlocked. I was told the engine was fine and this is not uncommon with this model. The diagnostic has been done and all good.
I want to sell the car can anything be done?
Thank you
Hazel
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello hazel! I am Lou. I can exain why the noise happens. It is not the abs so to say

Your SL has ELECTRONIC brakes. So every time you press the brake pedal you are not pressing a real brake. You are pressing the spring to simulate a brake. The pump will buzz every 5 times you press the pedal. It will buzz when the drivers door is opened. It will buzz wen the car is unlocked. It is building pressure to stop the car. This is absolutely normal and not a issue

So no worries. The system is called SBC ( sensotronic brake control ).

I Hope this information helps and It clears it up for you. This is normal function and all SL's do it from 2003-2006 until they got rid of it and went to another system. Hope this information helps Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉 Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.