Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Marty, i have 2002 SLK320, was dealer Cert PreOwn. The

Customer Question

Marty, i have 2002 SLK320, was dealer Cert PreOwn. The battery drains constantly, must call roadside to jump. Guy is very nice to me. Tried trickle charger, butt pain. Sometimes can hear Odd clicking in right door as if lock messed up. Second, roof often fails going up n down. Must turn off engine to reset or give a little hand assist. I have lost job, not rich, love car, clueless about electrical...
Which best to fix first? Are they related? You mentioned hyro cylinders (are they expensive to replace or repair?) and leakng seals. Can this be shorting on door or trunk. Reseals & check for shorts biggest priority? Thank you in advance for expert advice.
I am very afraid to take to mechanic without knowing what to say to avoid unnecessary repairs. Car sits in garage four monhs, my only vehicle, going nuts with worry, willing to do some stuff myself. Be nice if just simle water short... can i get for under $1500? Thanks man!
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, ideally a parasitic drain test should be performed to pinpoint the drain but the test can be very costly and time consuming. The most common drain would be from the PSE module for the central locking located in the trunk. I'd disconnect the module and see if the battery still drains and if the clicking in the door stops. The module is located under the trunk floor on the right hand side. It sits inside a foam encapsulation. I've attached a picture below. Just copy and paste the link. If you look just above the PSE in the picture you will see the hydraulic pump for the roof. I'd check the fluid level in the pump and see if it is low. If it is you will need to replace some hydraulic cylinders. I would not consider replacing the cylinders to be a DIY job but you can order replacement cylinders from www.tophydraulics.com for much less than the Mercedes cylinders.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/duzcr94vf2bk89f/pse_module.PNG
Let me know if you have any questions.
Marty