Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Need the right specs to set the timing on a 2004 Mercedes

Customer Question

need the right specs to set the timing on a 2004 Mercedes benz C230 kompressor 1.8L
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello , so as of right now is the whole chain accessible ? Or just the part up by the head ? Is the whole front cover off ? Oil pan ? Have you already tried to start the engine ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just the chain by the head, I had replaced cover and started the engine but it runs real roughly.

Ok , first thing I would do before I send the timing Info is to do a quick compression check. Let's make sure the engine has compression across all cylinders. This engine is a interference engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do not have a way of checking compression, can you send me the specs..I will try the right specs and find out if it worked..
thanks
Joe

Ok joe. Just trying to help. I'll send the specs.confirm this is the m271 engine ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where do I find engine type, Vin# ***** on actual engine? sorry I'm at work and I get to computer when I get a chance. thanks

Gotcha , well easiest way is if you have a black valve cover made of plastic or silver made of Aluminum

And vin number tells me but I need the whole vin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
black plastic cover, can get complete vin # ***** I till I get home from work. Thanks

Nope that's good enough. I'll try and get uploaded tonight. If you don't hear from me then remind me. I don't like to not hold true to my word.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you answering me? you said black valve plastic cover or silver metal one you could tell. I thing you answered me some one else's question.

Yes that was for you lol. You said black plastic cover. That is all I need to know. There was only two engine options. Both 4 cylinders.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
K thanks I also Have the 2002 MB compressor with the 2.3 L with the aluminum Silver valve cover also a 4 Cyl.will talk to you later about that one. Joe

Yes that is the other one. (Still talking to you :) )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You ask to remind you of the download of the timing specs.

Oh man I apologize , I'll have to opt out and let another expert help for the time being I got tied up today and really am sorry , and I'll be out for the weekend. This is not usual of me so again I can't apologize enough. But hopefully another expert will help out so it does not stop you from progress.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, post your vin number and I will look up the timing specs for you.