Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

My hard top would not release. Went through all the proper

Customer Question

my hard top would not release. Went through all the proper channels step by step. the pump mdd noise, the top acted as if it was going to release then latched back down. I manually removed it and now the roll bar nor soft top will operate. again, checked pump, full of fluid and it operates just doesn't activate the tops or bar. I am looking how to manually raise the top and have found directions. but I can't find any way to manually raise the roll bar??? 1991 Benz 500SL
can you help with how to manually raise the roll bar? And do you have any suggestions on what may be wrong with the tops system?
One other thing.....The instrument cluster is removed and being rebuilt. Would that cause the tops to not operate automatically?
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i didn't mean to request a call. Just checking out the site
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to make clear. The pump makes sound. The fluid is full. The hard top had movement but then sealed again. After manual removal, the same thing with soft top. The pump makes noise but NO reaction with top.
The roll bar will not activate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am wondering if this is the control module? Or the fact that the cluster is unplugged ?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

On some models with the instrument cluster or other electronics removed from the vehicle this may cause electrical issues with other components from operating properly.If this occurred after the cluster was removed there is a chance this is the cause here possibly.

You may also have a weak hydraulic pump for the top system.It is making noise as it is operational but may not be making fluid pressure to operate the components.I have seen some pumps fail needing replaced.This would have to be tested further to be sure this is the cause here.

Unfortunately I do not see a procedure myself on how the roll bar can be activated manually.This doesn't mean there isn't a procedure just that I don't see one myself.

Thanks Pete