Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

Outside Temperature Sensor reads incorrectly after replacing

Customer Question

Outside Temperature Sensor reads incorrectly after replacing the sensorand cable to the display. Is there something I can do to have this sensor read correctly? The temperature reads right until the engine starts, then it drops about 30 degrees on the display. This is a 1995 E300D Mercedes. Thank you ***@******.***
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing less. have you checked the voltage on the wires with the key on and then engine running to see if your losing voltage ? Or ground ? I am checking a diagram to see if there is anything that shares the signal lines.

Ok fuse 6 in the engine bay fuse box is for the temperature sensor.

On the back of the cluster for the outside temp display has 4 wires.

Black wire red stripe from the fuse is pin 5

Grey sure blue stripe is for the backlight pin 2

Brown wire is ground for the outside temp sensor pin 1

Green wire is pin 3 goes to the outside temp sensor and is the power

I would make sure the green wire at the temp sensor has battery voltage when key is on and also when engine is started. If not the temp display may be the issue as long as the power input on the black wire with red stripe keeps the same voltage. Hope this information helps. Let me know. I'm here to help.

Hello , checking back to see if you need more assistnace , Lou. If not Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉 Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.