MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
15777119

I'm ready to do the timing chains and guides on the 2.5

Customer Question

I'm ready to do the timing chains and guides on the 2.5 Jetta. If i paid you a tip would you be able to guide me through it? If so how much would you want?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I can provide you with the workshop instructions for replacing the chains and guides. Is that the sort of information you are in need of?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
kind of, But i also need someone to guide me through it. The lower timing chain is making noise the chain has not jumped and runs fine. So i dont want to re time it i just want to lock it down and replace the parts, is that possible?
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
I don't think you can replace the lower chain without having to retime the cams. You need to remove the cam chain in order to replace the lower chain. I'm not sure that I have the time to walk you through the entire job. I get pretty busy at work and cannot always reply right away. I can send you the workshop instructions and help you along as much as I can. If you aren't in a big rush I can help you with it. I've sent the additional service agreement for the help and workshop instructions.
Let me know if you would like to continue.
Marty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know i wouldnt be able to without removing the chain but couldnt i lock them in place before removing the chain? that way i can just install the new chains and be good to go?
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
You can paint mark everything and lock it in place but I'd be concerned that it might move on you when you remove the chains and gears.