Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

How do you remove the gas tank on a Mercedes Benz 1980

Customer Question

how do you remove the gas tank on a Mercedes Benz 1980 450sl? I have taken all lines and screws I could find off, but the filler nozzle pipe seems to be a integral part of the tank itself, and is metal, rigid, and I can't seem to be able to move the tank
to the left enough to clear the fill hole in the right rear quarter.!!!!
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello , have you removed the line at the bottom of the tank that feeds the fuel pump ? Here is a diagram of how it all looks

The neck is one piece

You have to pull the left side out and also push to the left at the same time , this is the hardest part and the original sealing strips that mate the tank and the body usually are very tacky and keep the tank stuck to the body

You want to make sure that bot***** *****ne is loose and sometimes you even need to remove the filter screen and fitting or it will catch on the hole in the floor.

There is no real trick just blood sweat and tears , but again , you need to slightly raise up the tank , and pull from the left side toward the rear while at the same time sliding to the left.

Let me know if this helps at all. I'll do what I can to assist. So far sounds like your on the right track.

I have taken my time to answer your question the best i could and i will continue to help if you need follow up information , all i ask is that you PLEASE take a second to rate my service so i may recieve my credit for assisting you. Thank you.