Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

I was showing someone how top on my 2001 Mercedes all 230

Customer Question

I was showing someone how top on my 2001 Mercedes all 230 retracts and first time I ever pushed bottom with both Windows down, the trunk opened,2 small side Windows went down and then everything stopped! The carhas trunk in mid stream half open and lf open the Windows will not go up or down and nothing with top works, but red light on bottom is on! I drive very slowly home after trying to cut off and Start again, top won't work! Very upset! Should be a reset button or some way to get top reset? Please help! I being a nice person explaining how top works to an older man and forgot Windows were down when I starred to put top down! I guess that's what I get trying to be nice?! Should we undo battery and hope it reset? Please help!!!
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The SLK 230 has codes for all systems, so thought if we undo battery could reset codes for top. Never had problems with top going up or down. Know it's because windows were down when I started putting too down. Help- I love my 2001 Mercedes SLK 230.
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing less. Can you upload photos of the top? And the position it is in ? This can be tricky to figure out but I can try to help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's dark, but maybe you can see. The trunk is half up stopped in misrepresenting. Windows are all down, main top still closed, but small lift at front of top near windshield. No motor sound, but red "top" button lights up and does get warm. Is there a way to reset Tom's code?

Ok thanks ! I will check over your pictures , and can you clarify your last statement ? I think it was a typo

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The top is retractable and it slowly retracts into the trunk as it retracts, just wondering if there is a way to reset the Top's code, so it can resume retracting? I really feel that having the Windows down when I started putting top down caused top to go in protective mode and completely stop midprocess. There just has to be a way to reset. Thanks!

Does the light on the switch flash if you start the car and push it forward to close it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does flash.

Every time you cycle the key it starts the system fresh the codes only stop the top from working as soon as it sees a issue with the switches. There is no "reset" and taking the battery cables off makes it worse. Did you in fact take the cables off the battery ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No we have not taken battery off. Only stopped and started car in intervals. We really haven't done anything to it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you think switch is bad?

Ok good and no the switch flashes when there is a issue

If you look into the trunk , is that vinyl divider in place ? The "partition" it's called

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the vinyl partition is pulled in formation for when top goes down. I did move it and placed back on levers.

Ok great and still no movement ?

Do you have another person to help? Try to OPEN the roof again but have someone GENTLY pull back on the trunk lid as in to further open it , and THEN pull the button back to open the roof. See if it helps

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am alone so I'll have to try that tomorrow!

Ok , let me know. I'll do what I can to help , have a good night , Lou

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will I be able to contact you tomorrow?

Absolutely. I am on all the time. Just reply back to me at this chat. If I don't hear from you I will reach out to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We tried pushing top while pushing button. Did not work!

No PULLING top

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We did what you said. Didn't work.

OK I will let another expert see if they can help you I'm sorry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are trying the relay switch that we found information about on Utube. Going to auto parts store now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I being charged for this, we are going to take car to the Mercedes Dealer and none of your advice worked, so I don't want to have to pay for something that didn't help.