Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

Billy- these 3 codes come up on my sprinter: 4751, 4759,

Customer Question

hi billy-
these 3 codes come up on my sprinter: 4751, 4759, 4804.
van wont start, doesn't even turn over, and its not the starter motor. when you turn the key, the starter soliniod isn't get any power
relay maybe? if so, which one? dave
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ALSO, WHEN YOU SHORT THE SOLENOID TO THE LIVE WIRE ON THE STARTER, THEN IT DOES TURN OVER, BUT DIDNT FIRE UP. GAVE IT A BIT OF EASY START, AND IT FIRED UP FOR A SECOND OR 2, THEN STOPPED. BUT THE WHOLE TIME IF YOU TURN THE KEY IT DOESNT TURN OVER. SO MANY RELAYS, IM NOT SURE WHERE TO LOOK
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing less. Hello Dave. I can attempt to help you. I just helped a fellow with a similar issue. First thing is can you upload the definitions of the codes ? The way we look up fault codes is not as easy without the scan tool hooked up. Also any pictures would be great if the screens you can see. Also first thing I want you to check is fuse 16 in the fuse box in the dash. Tell me if it is blown. Thanks Dave. Lou
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, fuse no 16 is ok.
4804: MIL ON&STORED&CURRENT
N30/4 (ESP CONTROL UNIT) - version coding string: INVALID4759: MIL ON&STORED&CURRENT
NO CAN MESSAGE FROM CONTROL UNIT ENGINE4751: MIL ON&STORED&CURRENT
NO CAN MESSAGE FROM CONTROL UNIT
N1 5/3 (ETC [EGS] CONTROL UNIT)THAT IS EXACTLY HOW IT READS ON THE SCANNER.
DAVE

Ok Dave thanks. Now what module are you reading these codes from ? It cannot be the engine module since there is a code for it , and I can tell you that the codes you have WILL prevent it from starting. The codes have to do with the communication system (CAN) and when there is a issue the modules cannot talk which meand they cannot start the car. Now the ESP, concerns me. Was any parts replaced recently when this happened?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
those codes come up in the esp module. ok, so about 6 weeks ago, the steering lock jammed, and this chap called bulldog security came out to me. he drilled the steering lock out and fitted some other little electronic device and played around with the van, and told me that what he does overrides the steering lock so it wont happen again. van has been fine since, until Thursday lastweek when it cut out a few times, and also was temprementle starting. nothing would happen when you turn the key, then 5 or 10 minutes later it would turn over and start. then on Friday, saturady, Monday, Tuesday and yesterday it was fine all day long. then this morning it wouldn't start again. now it was raining this morning, and last thursady too. I also noticed rain and moisture dripping in from the top of the windscreen where its a bit rusty. im wondering if this is all linked, and if maybe the relays or the ignition box that the key goes into have got damp. strange that it cured itself Friday last week and has been driving fine upto today.
dave

Ok Dave thanks that is excellent info. Another expert had assisted and said to check the esp connection for corrosion. Let's start there

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where would the esp connection be? under the dash presumably- are we referring to the bits around the fuse & relaybox by the obd port?

Oh the ESP is the abs hydraulic unit. In the engine bay I believe. Follow the brake lines and you will come to a hydraulic unit with a control module attached. That should be the one. I'll double check. Sorry for the delay.

Here is what the module looks like

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh, ok lets see how I get on...
(I like how they have just sawn off the brake lines on the one in the picture) how lazy

Haha for sure !

First thing I would do is unplug the unit connection and then see if the van starts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
alright Lou, got the sprinter sorted Friday. unplugged the esp, no difference.
removed the module with the relays and fuses from under the dash and...... bingo.
the rain that had got in just poured out. the pins on the module where so rusted that they broke off, and where stuck in the plug on the wiring loom. fortunately I have bits of a breaker, so I swapped the module and replaced the plug on the wiring loom. all good now. I thought I would let you know incase someone else has this. I cant imagine you would have known or guessed that without removing all the bits, and obviously the codes didn't give it away. codes just told us ecu wasn't communicating. hopefully this is usefull info to you. ive got 6 of these sprinters so im sure I will use this info again.
next thing is to remove the windscreen and sort out the rust and re seal the windscreen.

Wow nice job man ! And yes thanks for the info that will come in handy , these sprinters are a pain a lot of the times with all the random issues they have , I appreciate the feedback , if you need anything from me let me know I would be happy to help , if you can rate my service I would appreciate it so I may receive credit for assisting , if you cannot then I understand since I did not have the answer to your issue. Either way is fine with Me. Again if you need anything I'll do my best to help. Take care , Lou