Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 1987 Mercedes 420sel. It is in fantastic condition.

Customer Question

I have a 1987 Mercedes 420sel. It is in fantastic condition. Today I got into the car and turned on the ignition. When I went to turn on the headlights, the interior dash lights do not work. Headlights, door lights (interior) work. But the dash lights do not .. this includes the console lights. This happened about 6 months ago, but the lights came on and it has worked since.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** sounds like your dash light rheostat may be faulty or just dirty. Try turning the knob to dim the dash lights back and forth a few times and see if you can get the dash lights to turn on. The knob sticks out from the instrument cluster at the lower left of the speedometer. It's best to try this at in the dark with the headlights on so you can see if the dash lights flicker on while you are turning the knob.
Let me know if this works.
Marty