Mike, Technician
Experience:  34 years of in the Motor Trade as diagnostic Technician and general repair work.
9261905

I have c 240 mercedes made 2004 .It was raining hard & I was

Customer Question

I have c 240 mercedes made 2004 .It was raining hard & I was speeding run through big pile of water .After a while I park can't even start the engine .The brake light & check engine lights is on at the same time .I've tried many times choked the brake pedal but not working , please tell me is there any problem with my car ?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hello and Welcome -

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise.

Given that you have run through a flood you most likley have had water wash up over the engine / engine bay - and all over the electrics.

This will be causing your lights you mention - you can manually / physcally check it all over - dry it all out - you need to open the fuse boxes etc and fully dry out the systems - inc paying attention to electrical connectors in the circuits etc.

You can do this or you can if you can - park it somewhere to allow it to dry out on its own pref in a warm place.

Such as above can cut your electrics - if its very bad - you should disconnect your battery while its worked on / dried out.

It could be just down to this as to why it wont start too... You need to remove the air tubing etc to see if there is any amount of water in there - If there is - its most likely gone up into the engine.... that would then have to be checked further.

Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..

~~~>>>>>>~ Meanwhile - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. Thank you in advance for that . ..

Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out -

- Best Rgds, MIKE.

Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing less. The issue will need to be addressed with a scan tool. If the car ran after driving through the puddle but does not run after it has been shut off then the issue may not be related to the water. Can you clarify on this issue whether the car ran or shut off when driving through the water ?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again -
This is MIKE - I responded to you just some seven mins or so in / after you asked your question but I missed you and you had gone off line . Im sorry about that.
I see you have viewed my reply / answer to you above but not left any comments. If you need anything further on this please don't hesitate to ask...Im always more than happy to carry on / help you more as / if needed.
By now , the water will have dried out to some extent - you may even find it starts ok now - but if water is trapped in places as I mentioned above, you will need to attend to that ..
Too - if you dry it all out and find that the engine just will not crank - or tries to and locks.. then water will have, as I mentioned before - gone up the air intake - enough of it and it can fill the engine cylinders causing it to lock... If that is suspected -you need to remove the plugs and then spin the engine on the key - that will shoot the water out of the cylinders ( protect the area from this ).. but its the way to do it -or syphon each cylinder out.. replace the plugs after drying them out and then it should start. But - before you do that - check the dipstick too - in case the water ingress was so bad , it got into the oil sump. IF thats happened - its not likely - but if, then you must change the engine oil and filter too.
So again - let me know how you are doing - or if you need anything else at all.
-- Please do click on the OK ratings for me at this point, Thank you again - and of course you can still get back to me at any time after should you need-
Kind Rgds, MIKE.