Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Can u let me know which Seliniod control which part of the

Customer Question

Can u let me know which Seliniod control which part of the convertible top? My convertible top is not fully functioning. The windshield latch will lock but not unlock, and the top will not raise. Not sure which Seliniod need to be replaced. I had one mechanic who filled the pump reservoir with brake fluid and it may have cloged them.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing less.first off if brake fluid was filled into the system you will have damaged every cylinder seal in the car. Everything will have to be replaced. All the cylinders and pump. What year and model car do you have ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would you please be so kind as to forward this ticket to Marty. This request was supposed to be for Marty. I appreciate your attempts to answer the question.

No problem

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi Art, can you give me a run down of what the top is doing? Have you flushed all of the brake fluid out of the system?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried to remove as much brake fluid as possible with turkey Bastet. Then I added hydraulic fluid and ran the pump then once again removed all the fluid with a turkey baster. And then filled it up with hydraulic fluid and ran the pump.
The top latch is above the windshield will luck but not unlock. The roof will not go up and back. I can hear the rear latches unlock but that's about it. When I try to retract the roof the windows don't go down either .
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi Art, can you lower the roof manually and then try raising it with the switch? I'd like to know if it will raise once it is lowered.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the top manually placed down. I tried to activate the top switch. I hear the windshield latches click, and that's it. Nothing else?
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
With the roof lowered, does the red light in the switch turn off if you pull back on it as if you were finishing the lowering process? Does the roll bar go up and down with the switch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Roll top bar does not operate with the top. It does operate on its own with the switch. The button flashes red and beep when I try to lower the top, but nothing else.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Try disconnecting the negative battery cable for 30 minutes then reconnect it and see if anything changes. Also try initializing the windows by pressing and holding the window switch until the window is all the way down then continue to hold the switch and additional 3 seconds.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No difference. I had the battery unplugged overnight and reconnected in the morning. And the response of the top was the exact same.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi Art, it sounds to me like the windshield cylinders may be bypassing. The cylinders shouldn't click when you try to raise the roof. You might still have some brake fluid in the system. I'm not quite sure how you should approach this. You could remove each roof lock cylinder and flush the lines from the front to the back with compressed air and then add more hydraulic fluid. I'd want to be sure that all of the brake fluid was out of the system. If you are able to scan the roof module for fault codes they might tell us something as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me which solenoid regulates which hydraulic mechanism? I will try to blow out each piece from the solenoid block and then back to the pump.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Click on the attachment below. Y4 is the solenoid for the front locks. If you hear the locks clicking when raising the roof the solenoid may be stuck open.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Marty, I am not able to see the attachment. Can this be forwarded to my email. *****@******.***

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

I will see what I can do.