Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

This morning my wife's 2010 GLK350 did not start. Seems

Customer Question

This morning my wife's 2010 GLK350 did not start. Seems something in the realm of IES/Ignition issue(s). These are the symptoms: FOB key will work locks and panic buttons, will turn on the ignition but will not start. The panel does not illuminate (all the pre-check lights) on the last position, only mileage and temp. Steering wheel is locked, no unlocking sound (the zipping sound). Battery is good, fuses are good, and I brought the second key, same issue. I consider myself a mechanic “aficionado” so I like to understand what is happening. We have had MB’s for 25+ years never had this issue. Before we invest in the repair wanted to consult if there are any other diagnostics I could run to at least start it up, since it was left at the park. If towing is the only option does it have to be necessarily at an Dealership? Since it could be key related.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello , well you are correct. The issue is the ignition switch. In the 2010 models it was very problematic. If you leave the key in the second position the dash should come to life after a few minutes. Once it comes to life it will start. Hopefully. What happens is when the key is turned the eis(electronic ignition switch ) does not recognize the run position. So it does not turn on the run circuit. The ignition switch needs to be replaced at a dealer as they will not sell it over the counter and it also needs programmed. Hope this information helps. Let me know if you have any other questions I will do my best to help. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉 Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.

The only diagnostics would be to try a second key if you had one and also just make sure the battery was not dead just to be safe. I'm sure you already know this but just want to confirm.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm at the vehicle. Put the key in the 2 position and wait a couple of minutes, who many minutes approx? any other instruction?

If not up to ten minutes and it doesn't come to life then switch is bad

Without a scan tool that is the best we can do. In fact let me tell you what fuse to try and pull see if it helps to reset the ignition switch. Just make sure the key is out of the ignition.

Checking fuse location now please bare with me

Fuse 19 and 27 in the front engine bay fuse box drivers side

Also a common bulletin and I will get you the fuse chart too

http://www.mediafire.com/view/1g1b5y6kq43oxm6

http://www.mediafire.com/view/wdf3rg92aavv1j7

Ignore the red arrow. The black arrow shows the front of vehicle for orientation. Hope this information helps

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, identified fuse 19 & 27, pulled out and verified. Both are fine. By pulling them out it resets the ignition? Should I try position #2 now?

If you reinserted them then yes. Try again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, putting key in 2 position. Will wait the 10 minutes. Will relay any info ASAP

Ok. I'm trying to stay with you ! It just started storming here in Illinois and of course my internet is slowing. But I am here. There were many different issues in this model year but most was the switch. Other issues where the circuit 15 relays.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still waiting. I understand, Just trying to get the vehicle out of the park. Roadside assistance will be a last resort.

Ok getting it out of park is easy

It explains in the owners manual if you don't have one then pull up the trim around the shifter

There is a yellow (pretty sure yellow) release to get it out of gear. You press the release and while pressing it you pull the shifter out of gear

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I mean get out of the park, is that I am lottery at a park where my wife does exercise. :-)Nothing lit in the panel, will be back in the afternoon. And try again with the other key. If it does not work will call Roadside.

Oh ok haha

You have the shifter on the floor yes ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean?

Does your glk have the console shifter knob or the electronic shifter on the column behind the steering wheel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on the floor

Ok. Just making sure. So yes you can get it out of gear.

Here is the Info.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ugh, yes I know how to get to neutral, went over the manual when battery died about 1 1/2 ago.

Ok man just trying to help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's ok, I understand, thanks. ***** get the chance to return to the vehicle. I Will let you know. I do have to tell you I am losing all hope in being able to turn on the vehicle. For sure the dealership is going to ask a hearty amount of $$$ to repair. I appreciate all the support.

Even if it did come on I would suggest ha I got it checked out so it doesn't happen again. I'll send over all the bulletins for no start and after that I don't think I'll be much more help with the starting.

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/qd0ul4sbhdpz2

Hope this information helps. Let me know if I can be of any more service. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉 Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.

I have taken my time to answer your question the best i could and i will continue to help if you need follow up information , all i ask is that you PLEASE take a second to rate my service so i may recieve my credit for assisting you. Thank you.