FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE DIESEL/AUTOMOTIVE
1627031

I have a 1999 230 slk it starts at gh idle when you rev it

Customer Question

I have a 1999 230 slk it starts at high idle when you rev it it surges up and down and wont come back to an idle.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thanks for the question. Can you tell me if the check engine light is coming on? Did this happen all of a sudden or was it gradual?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The check engine light is on , and it was gradule.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Most of the time on this engine this is due to a malfunctioning throttle body or a failing mass air flow sensor. Both of these are common. Since the check engine light is on you need to start by having the computer scanned for codes. Most auto parts stores will do this for free. If you have this done bring them to me and I can tell you with more certainty what is going on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced both mas air flow and throttle position sensor and this code came up P1235 and P0105
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Did these codes come up prior to replacing these parts? Did you clean the throttle body also?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It appears to have 2 throttle bodys 1 @ the intake and 1 @ the air filter which one and how do you clean them?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

You need to clean the throttle body at the engine. This is where the air enters the engine and has the throttle plate in it.